Monday, June 13, 2011

Hallmark Cards

Hi, I'm Mo and I cannot remember to send a card, if my life depended on it.
`
Birthday, Christmas, anniversary, graduation, baby, mother's day, father's day, or any other day that involves a card, and according to Hallmark, everyday is card worthy. Seriously, they have a Everyday category.
`
This past Saturday we celebrated two friends birthdays. Our one friend is awesome at remembering every ones birthday, and has a card for all major events in one's life. So of course, you need to get her a card, it's only polite. This means that our other friend also gets a card.
`
I returned from Phoenix at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, and we were meeting up with everyone about 9-9:30ish. I was not going to mess this up, I was going to make sure they each has their own birthday card.
`
I went to the store to grab a card, lo and behold they had cards for every occasion this summer. In one swoop I had a card for father's day, which is a week later than I thought, giving me plenty of time to get the card in the mail. I grabbed wedding and wedding shower cards, who knew those were two different categories? Graduation cards for my two cousins who enter college in the fall. And then finally the reason for my mission: birthday.
`
I don't understand why there can't be one birthday card, congratulation card, and whatever else. It's hard enough to choose one, let alone trying to figure out if you want to give a funny, a serious, a loving, a boring, a blank, a belated, or a million other options.
`
I decided on funny.
`
Leaving me with 75 different cards to read through. I have an hour until we need to leave, and I still have to shower, because I smell like airplane, and straighten my hair.
`
Speed reading to the rescue! Actually, pictures won out. A cupcake and a monkey was selected. Done!
`
I was proud of myself. I remembered cards. I was actually going to have a card to pass along to people. So excited.
`
Except, we were in the car, on our way and I remembered that I had forgotten the cards. Even when I am on the ball, I forget the cards. Good grief!
`
Luckily, we weren't that far and could rectify the situation. Chris turned around, and I ran back to grab the blank cards and their envelopes. Okay, totally under control.
`
Umm, no. Not under total control. I still had to figure out what I wanted to write in the card, because as hard as Hallmark tries to make their cards personal, it's never as personal as a nice little hand written note.
`
I don't mind writing these little notes, the downside of these notes is my handwriting. My handwriting, while unique, can be difficult to read. I had finished the notes, our names were signed, and I noticed it. My illegible handwriting.
`
Whoops!
`
Luckily, my friend was able to read it. That's all that matters.
`
But, if Hallmark was smart, they would have people sending cards for you, based on your Outlook calender or whatever. And if they were really, really smart the hand written notes would already be in the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment