Thursday, April 7, 2011

How (not) to Behave at Adult Dinners

Since the beginning of time there were rules on how to behave, as a child, at an adult dinner. The rule of "be seen and not heard" is older than time itself, but one adults LOVE.
Growing up surrounded by adults, and attending business dinners, rules were put in place, to keep the adults sane, and children (me) from bopping the adults on a head, in a rousing game of duck-duck-goose.
I don't understand why they would not want to play. The dinners are pretty boring.
Other rules for children at an adult dinner:
  • Sit in your seat, you are not allowed to walk around the table, unless you're walking to the restroom
  • Color or draw silently, there is no reason to sing
  • The adults are not gathering to see you, they are gather to discuss work. Please be silent

Now, that I'm adult you would think dinners would be way more fun. And a lot of them are. Then, there are the dinners that duck-duck-goose needs to be busted out.

I know nothing about computers, or programming, or robots. And on occasion dinner conversation leads there. It happens, it's the dangers of being a Microsoft wife.

If there are other wives, girlfriends, fiances, I'll talk to them, but most of Chris's friends are single. this leaves me with a couple options. Either talk to myself, try to follow a conversation I have no understanding of, or use cutlery to build something, anything.

I usually opt for the third option. Please note, I'm silent, I'm not being that distracting, and I'm in my seat.
Okay, at the age of twenty-four, I know I should be behaving better. Afterall, I am an adult, and boring adult stuff is no longer optional, but mandatory.
And to think, I wanted to grow up and become an adult, because it looked way more fun than being a child. At least as a child you have a menu you can color on. Apparently it's frowned upon in the adult world to draw on the special adult menus.

No comments:

Post a Comment