Thursday, August 29, 2013

It's football season, Charlie Brown

It's a cool, rainy morning in the Northwest.

A perfect day for football!

 It's officially fall. At 3 pm PST today, there will be the first kickoff of the 2013 season.

There is new hope! All the disappointment and frustration of last season matters no more because it's a new season.

A new season, but the same old superstitions are observed.

My superstitions involve not speaking of my superstitions.

And with a new season you have new hope.  And because it's my team I normally have the Charlie Brown moment, of believing this time, this season it will be better.

And like Charlie Brown this always happens to me:

 
 
The ball represents my hope and dreams for the season, which are always pulled out from under me because my team is a jerk and likes to cause emotional pain.
 
Just like Charlie Brown believing Lucy will not pull the ball out from him, every year I think it will be different.
 
And like Charlie Brown, it is always the same. Lying on the floor and wondering why I got my hopes up again.
 
And I'm depressed and sad for rest of the season.
 
 
 
Some people don't understand the seriousness of football season.
 
They have these silly sayings of "It's just a game." Or "It doesn't really matter."
 
But no. No, it is way more than a game. And these games do matter.
 
It's very serious, this football thing.
 
It's so serious my happiness of the week revolves around the outcome of a game. So by saying football doesn't matter, you're now saying my happiness doesn't matter.
 
And I may have taken the football a little far with that last sentence. And it may be a little nutty but it's okay because IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON!
 

So from here on out I'm busy on Saturdays and Sundays from about 9am to 8pm, and you can find me on my couch yelling at players and coaches like a maniac.

But that's okay too.

You know why?

IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON!

No comments:

Post a Comment