Monday, November 21, 2011

Size 6+ Need Not Enter

Want to feel self conscious and as insecure as a 13-year-old girl?

Want to see every imperfection and flaw your body has, making you wish life and mirrors came with air brushing?

Stay out of the dressing rooms!

I am not a self conscious person.

I am not fat.

I have curves. I will never be a size 2 and for the most part I'm okay with that. Until I go dress shopping.

But nothing makes me feel worse than trying on clothes.

I would rather bring home items and find they are a tad to small or a tad to big then deal with seeing myself in a full length mirror on four walls pointing out every flaw.

I swear dressing rooms are designed to make me feel as horrible about my self as possible.

Nothing makes me feel worse about myself then not fitting into a pair of jeans or dresses that are marked as my size.

Not only am I self conscious of my body in the dressing room, I then have to deal with the added annoyance of nothing fitting.

Everything is beyond tight and accents the hips in the worse way possible.

I know sizes vary by designer, but when I can't tell the difference between a size 2 and a size 6 (for the guys it's like an 18 and a 24) then there is something wrong with the models, claiming to be a size 6, or I need to eat nothing but laxatives and drink nothing but water.

That's the perfect thing to eat at Thanksgiving.

"No, no stuffing for me. Thanks. I'll just eat these laxatives while I watch you eat that delicious turkey. I'm thinking that will bring a very quick family intervention.

I can accept I am not seven feet tall and weigh more than 50 pounds. Really, I can accept it.

I cannot accept that I am unable to fit into a size supposedly two times larger than my normal one. Not that it won't zip, or it stretches across my hips straining the material making it look like waves. No, I'm talking about a dress I can't even get over my shoulders.

I promise I was not in the junior department.

If it says it is my size, it should at least fit. It's one thing to be a tad to small, because nothing is made exactly the same; but it's something else entirely when two times larger than my size is still to small.

If it's going to be that bad, why can't the store put up a sign saying, unless you're boobless and look like a cocaine addicted, anorexic skeleton please save yourself the trouble, buy yourself a cookie and don't try anything on in this store.

What a wonderful sign that would be. I can go on my merry way eating a cookie and find a dress in a store that fits me; without the help of a glue gun, safety pins, and three women trying to squeeze the zipper shut.

Okay, it was never that bad, but it sure felt like it.

So, after a major hit to the self esteem and wondering what the best diet would be to lose 75 pounds before Chris's Christmas party, in a week; I found a dress.

Twenty minutes later Visa notified Chris I found the perfect dress 1,900 miles from home. Got to love security.

No comments:

Post a Comment