Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Year Anniversary

On Sunday, August 21 Chris and I celebrated our one year anniversary of marriage.
`
We both commented on how it did not feel like a year, it felt shorter.
`
So how do you measure a year?
`
You can measure it in minutes, all five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred of them. You can measure it in sunsets and sunrises, except we live in Seattle and hardly see the sun, and counting rainy days is just depressing.
`
You can measure it in cups of coffee, and that seems appropriate for where we live, since no one can go a day without at least a gallon of the stuff, but Chris and I do not drink the nasty stuff.
`
You could measure it in laughter, lessons learned, and of course love.
`
I was asked if it was love at first sight, and it happened to be during the wedding ceremony. Neither of us fell in love with each other on sight. We were both 14, and freshmen at Farmington Hills Harrison High School.
`
We were biology lab partners, English group members, friends, and not until we were nearly done with our senior year in high school did we both realize we liked one another. We dated through college (different colleges about 3 hours apart, for three years), and were engaged for most of my senior year.
`
We were engaged for nearly two years, and now married for one. You can maybe understand how we both thought a year flew by, when we've been together for as long as we have.
`
Anniversaries are a big deal, not because you survived the year with that person, but because of what you've shared in the last year.
`
Chris and I began the year in Mexico on our honeymoon, and finished the year on a camping trip to the Olympic National Park.
`
We're building a life together, and I'm beyond happy to have Chris in my life. The only thing I wish were different is we have a dinner making robot. But I can wait.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this. I can't believe it has already been a year! The two of you together makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete