Monday, May 16, 2011

Subtle Subjet Change

In a family where the only safe subject is weather, the weather is rarely discussed. Everything from politics, religion, politics, healthcare, the Navy, politics and the Navy are discussed.
I have great respect for the military, and no, the military itself is not a controversial subject. The 1948 version of the Navy is on repeat, and most people in the family are getting tired of hearing about it.
So when a controversial subject is raised which is quite often, you can do one of two things.
1) Leave the room
2) Change the subject
I tried option one, but the conversation rolls and I was quickly someplace I didn't want to be, when I returned.
So, what does an adult do when she doesn't like the conversation? Change the subject of course!
The weather is always a safe subject. I tried commenting on the weather. "Wow, it's a nice night out!" I exclaimed as we were sitting outside.
"What?" Someons paused the conversation long enough to ask, before going back to the conversation I was trying to steer us away from.
"Look at those clouds!" I yelled over the others. This time, the crazy person went ignored.
"I have five toes!" I yelled, looking at my bare foot. That, stopped everything. Apparently, a crazy declaration you would expect from a three-year-old, is enough to change the subject to something less controversial.
I know this method will probably not be an approved Emily Post method. In fact, I know this will not work at any dinner party. Standing in my chair and declaring "I hate kiwi!" Will probably have me in the mental ward faster than you can say: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
While declaring how many toes I have, or the foods I prefer is not the most adult thing I could do, it is effective. Darn you adulthood, for making me trade in my effective subject changer for something that does not work. No one likes talking about the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment