Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lock and Key

Every experience is supposed to be a learning experience. What did we learn? Mo cannot use a lock and key.

It's sad, really, that a 24-year-old is unable to work a lock. It's not entirely my fault. My boss is also partly to blame. He, after all, gave me the responsibility of closing the store.

It's not a difficult job closing. Kick everyone out by eight, set the alarm, lock the door. Except, on the night that involved silly people being extremely rude and demanding, the door decided to also be rude and demanding.

The key could not turn more than 7/8s in the lock. Frustrating, because, technically the door is locked, I just couldn't get my key. With my key still on the key chain, I could also not get my car keys or house keys. I also can't leave the key to the store chilling in the door. I might as well put a giant sign outside that says: FREE SKIS!

Okay, I can get this to work. First, move inside where it is nice and warm. Second, grab a screw driver. I lift up the second door, with the mechanism, where the deadbolt enters. Still cannot turn my key more than 3/4s.

Okay, okay, okay, don't panic. I look at the clock, 8:30. Right, okay, it's only taken me a half hour to try to lock the stupid door.

I need to call and tell someone I can't lock the door. The main store? No what are they going to do? My boss!

"Hello?" My boss answers the phone suspiciously. I don't blame him. It's his day off and the unspoken agreement is do not call Boss unless the store exploded.
"I can't lock the door," I all but scream into the phone out of frustration.
"Okay....Do you see the left door with the white mechanism?" Boss asks slowly and methodically.
"Yes" I manage to say without exploding.
"Push that mechanism up, now try to turn the lock."
"I did and nothing" I'm trying really hard not to throw my phone at the lock.
"Take the screwdriver and lift the second door up, so it's even with the left door," he suggests.
I am now beginning to hate screwdrivers.
"Still not working," snottiness has officially taken over.
"Do you want me to come down there?"
"No, because by the time you get here I'll have it figured out."
"Okay, well call me back if you get it," Boss tells me.
"Do you think pliers would work?"
"Maybe, but don't break the key," he reminds me before hanging up.
Yeah, only a moron would break a key in a lock.

Hello, and I'm a moron. I look at the clock 9:00. I should probably tell Chris I'm going to be really late.
"Hello?" Chris answers
"Sh#t!" I scream in answer. Okay, probably not the best way to say hello to your husband, I totally agree. But, I just broke the key in the lock. Pliers and hammers and fists do little in reinforcing a key's strength.
"What happened?!" Chris asks panicked.
"I just broke the bleep key in the bleep lock! How do I get it out?"
"You could use gum?" Chris offers, "or a magnet."
"I really don't want to put gum in the lock," I mutter. Finally! Mo has a good idea tonight.
"Hold on, let me see if Bing has any ideas."
Bing did not have any ideas.
"My boss just showed up, I'll see you in about an hour," I tell Chris.
Boss gets out of the car armed with power tools. He gets out calmly.
"Hey, so remember what you told me not to do?" I ask giving him a smile.
"No, what?"
"Not to break the key? I kinda did."
He looks to the floor of the store where screwdrivers, pliers, a hammer, and scissors all laid.
"Well, that's not our concern for tonight. He bends down, and pulls out a small rock out of the floor opening for the lock. He gets out his key and turns the lock fully.

Stare. No expression, just a "Shining" stare.
"It's fine, you and the guys can get it out tomorrow."
"Thanks, Boss" I tell him as I climb into my car.

It only took five people two days to get the key out.

No comments:

Post a Comment